Sunday, December 14, 2008

first 10k

A strange out of body experience happened over the last 13 weeks. I got abducted by a UFO - the exercise aliens who switched my earthly body (which never went beyond 2.4km) for a new one.

Well, that’s what it feels like confronting the new me, who likes to run! If you had a camera panning how hard I trained the past few weeks, I would not recognize myself....but crossing that 10k finish on 7 December 2008 in that turquoise tank top size L and running shorts revealing my fair and meaty arms and legs, you only had to see in my sweat streaked face, that this was really, one of those moments which makes me want to break out into that theme song from Greatest American Hero.

As I ran, I thought about the female heroes who have lifted me at times when I was down - Jinn, my sister in the US who I am missing this Christmas and Min, my running partner who ran with me throughout this journey even though she's much faster.

My cheerleader and sporting apparel consultant who still looks great in tight jeans, Gary and the crayolas for providing the most compelling reason to get off my ass.

As well as the other sistas who have kept me inspired along the way.

And the plate of char kway teow at the end of the rainbow.

Sing with me!

Look at what's happened to me
I can't believe it myself
Suddenly I'm on top of the world
It should've been somebody else

Believe it or not
I’m walking on air
I never thought I could feel so free eee eee
Flying away on a wing and a prayer
Who could it be?
believe it or not, its just me! – Greatest American Hero



12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

respect!

this video is for u!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I&eurl=http://www.blessedhaven.blogspot.com/&feature=player_embedded

9:06 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Thanks Eileen! Its a v funny clip :)

2:52 PM  
Blogger lekowala said...

Good job on the very first 10K feeling so good about it!

5:48 PM  
Blogger imp said...

that's amazing! well done you!!!

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!! Wish I was there to see it, Leen. I know how much of a miracle it is to get anyone with Chan fambery genes to LIKE running. Can't wait to catch up in May.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Enjoyed watching the YouTube clip too ... it's been ages since I heard that song! I only remember him as the guy who couldn't land properly and always crashed. And I NEVER knew Michael "Streets of Fire" Pare was in that show!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Thanks Lekowala, Imp, Katz :)
Jill - you know if you recognise that song, it isnt a good reflection of how young you are.

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BUT all I remember is the song and the fact that he could only crash-land. I don't recall anything else or plot lines, so I was clearly still VERY young ...

6:01 AM  
Blogger imp said...

happy holidays and have a blessed season.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woot! You're good!

Merry X'mas and if I don't come here in time, have a Happy New Year too!

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Fair and meaty arms..."

Always remember that white meat is healthier than red.

:)

11:11 PM  
Blogger Ivan Chew said...

What's this thing about musicians and the need to run! lol. Seriously though... 10K, wah. I kow-tow to you ah! :)

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home