Thursday, August 30, 2007

How to draw a heart?

Came home today with a headache made worse by Shane's loud complaints that I

  • didn't put a present in his bag for teacher's day.
  • didn't help him make a card for his teacher.

Was also guilted.

All my friends gave a present and card. Chocolate! flowers! EXCEPT me!


Of course I felt bad. Instead of helping him make a card the night before, I made Gary go with me to Timbre to watch a sassy lady with spiky hair play with her band. Basically, everything I wanted to be to be in my teens, she is channeling in her real life. One jug of strawberry margaritas, a late night out and I was paying for it with a headache.

Most parents, the good ones especially, make the effort.

Shane, its just a day. We'll give her a present next Monday ok?

No no I want to make a card. You help me. How to spell Happy Teachers Day?


He started sticking stickers onto a patch of paper kitchen towel folded into fours (to make a card). I gave him a ball point pen. I had never seen him write his letters so neatly and quickly.


"H-A-P-P-Y"
"D-A-Y"
How to spell Teacher Eileen?

My head was spinning as I watched him try.

T! is it T?
How to draw a heart?

By this time, my brain was haemorraging so I walked out to my room for some quiet only to hear him wailing at the top of his lungs. He punctured a hole in the card with the ball point pen and had torn up the entire card in his frustration. He was inconsolable. He had to make a card. Like right now. The time was 1045 pm. Way past bed time.

I remembered there was chocolate in the fridge. One pack of kinder buenos.

D'you want to give chocolate to Teacher Eileen?

But I want to eat chocolate!
Well, if you want to eat it, then you can't give it to her.
I won't eat it. Can I sleep with it?
Don't crush it.

Happy Teacher's Day Eileen from the one whose behaviours and feelings you know so well. I'm writing this post as he sleeps sucking his lower lip dreaming of kinder bueno...kinder bueno....and giving it to you. I can't in three words capture just how much you mean to Shane and us. When you called me to prevent him from climbing, I knew you really cared. Thank you for the past two years and truly, the love you give is the love you're getting back.



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww...he must really like the teacher a lot. And me good parent? I really went LOL reading that. Hahaha...

But really, thank goodness I remembered. Mine was so excited about the whole giving and I could see the satisfaction on his face this morning when he handed over.

So while I think you and me think alike as in it's just another day, it's a different story with them.

(And I never blogged about how guilty I felt when my son came back two days ago saying I never packed a pencil case in his bag - like since last year!)

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Panadol, Extra Strength and lot's of fluids with sugar like fruit juices.

It's a life-saver for hangovers...

(not on an empty stomach though)

2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's strange how teachers' day is celebrated by parents mostly. i remember that when i was in pri school, i never gave any of the teachers anything. probably because i never liked them very much! heheheh.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Ivan Chew said...

I remember my Kindergarten teacher fondly. I think that's one reason why I believe in the enormous influence that educators have over children.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

sesame - really good you didn't traumatise him by remembering. LOL about the pencil case. Can totally identify.

ivn - I had to take two panadol. One not enough. Must remember to stock up on P extra.

imp - Shane adores his cher. There were few teachers i liked at school too. Most of them gave me hell.

Ivan - Aw, so sweet. I can only wish that the crayolas get good teachers every year because they are in the position to influence their minds and approach to learning.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Miss Loi said...

While the real teachers bask in glory and honour, this half-teacher still have to teach on Teachers' Day. Tsk.

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks carrie.. a lil' shy here. =)I can visualise the way he is behaving as I read ur entry. Gosh!!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Ms Loi - i cannot think of a teacher who teaches maths cooler than you and this is coming from someone who is very bad at maths.

Cher Eileen - thanks for reading this entry. Meant for you really.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home