Wednesday, August 08, 2007

su the bandit

Between jobs, I had a midlife crisis of sorts contemplating things I did, things I never did. Lost loves. Yoof. First love. Time. How quickly it passes.

I came up with a list of things that I wanted to do before I conk off and decided that I would just do them without thinking of the consequences or feeling malu about it. Just about this time, I discovered myspace band pages and the desire, deeessiiiire, deeeesiiirre (U2)to have my own band page took over. I booked an appointment at a record studio near my home, took my guitar, electronic tuner and just turned up at 9 in the morning.

The sound engineer was a guy called Chia. I asked him for his first name, but he established the distance repeating again his surname "Chia". He was bot-like and emotionless as I spilt my guts singing those songs. He said nothing positive and nothing negative. It was probably the most intimate act I had ever been in with a stranger and robot/engineer to boot. Still we marched on. In 4 hours, the songs were recorded. I nearly died with embarassment when Chia replayed my warbly voice over the speakers but that was besides the point, if I should conk off, the songs will still live!

When I met Chia to pick up the recording a week later, he went through the tracks one by one to see that they were ok. I vigorously nodded my head to ok them, wanting to get away very quickly when Chia said something out of the ordinary "I liked fused to you". Even more ackward than recording the songs with Chia, for a split second right there, I had fallen madly in love with a robot.

This is for G who inspired the songs and for the crayolas who gave me the courage to archive them. Thanks for listening goofiest midlife project evar

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I think I actually blushed listening to "Fused To You". Rocker mom, very cool!

So when are you going to pose for me?

8:29 AM  
Blogger opus2 said...

i listened to your myspace band page - to paraphrase chia: i like this is what i love. Great stuff - yay for you for doing this!! hats off too. you did more than 99.9% of the rest of us would - which is not just to dream but to actually do something about it.

rock on.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Johnny - Thanks! I feel so rock star like now that you want to take my photo.

Opus - Glad you liked the song. I'm more in awe of your film making, really.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! The boys like "Crayon Box" and were singing along in no time.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lurrrrvvvvveeeeee them all Carrie! Well-done!

7:10 PM  
Blogger imp said...

wooohooo! this rocks!! i'm on a dive trip now, and really with your songs chiming out of my laptop speakers, it fits perfectly with the rustic settings, the beach and all. :)

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the songs, esp crayonbox!! I downloaded it and have it on repeat mode liao!!!!

Am glad for you and also in awe that you'd set out what you wanted to do... and came out tops! *clap clap*

3:43 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Katz in North Carolina, Tiff in Perth, Imp on exotic beach and Ying having me on repeat is more than I could wish for. I'm so glad that I can share them with you. I can feel the lurrve!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Crazy Mum aka Ivy Ong said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Crazy Mum aka Ivy Ong said...

Bravo! You've got balls wooooman. I loved this is what love! Couldn't help laughing out loud.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Ivan Chew said...

Hey Carrie, thanks for point me to your page. As mentioned in my email, your songs remind me of what Nana Mouskouri might sing -- brought me back to the more innocent days of childhood, for some reason. But now that I learned you're a mom, maybe that's where the essence of your song writing and singing lies. OK, I maybe talking a load of crap here, as always -- but the part about Nana Mouskouri is true. Oh yeah, sing on, Rocker Mom!

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home