Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Four

Because a birthday rolls around only once a year. Because a birthday is a time to overturn all rules banning sugar.

You comply: Party bags. Cake. Balloons. And a fourth resurrected pony.



We made our way to Shane's nursery to celebrate his birthday with his friends. When I heard there were 27, I anticipated disorder but what I witnessed was order and obedience from everyone.


First item on the agenda - cutting the cake. Shane served the slices to everyone who waited in their seats patiently. When they each received their slice, they said "thank you Shane!". So this is the good behaviour in childcare that I never see at home.




When it was time for the pony, I couldn't control the horde so the teacher did the GLARE and all 27 of them settled down for a while. I am so going to acquire a GLARE too.





They each took turns to beat the pony until its outer skin burst. And as the innards of sweets sprinkled over their heads, there were squeals of delight and laughter uninhibited. I memorised that sound in my head because long after Shane tires from paper ponies, I never want to forget what it was like at this moment and time. That sound of all 27 of them when the pinata cracked open will bring it back.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's quite a celebration! I have never celebrated Gavin's birthday in this scale. Always kept it to family.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

It was just everyone at his level in nursery. Just bring the cake there and balloons. All the kids there already. So many i oso scared.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha...it's lucky Gavin's birthday is on 1 Jan so that's why I never bothered with this at his school :p I'm stingy and anti-social.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what a lovely birthday celebration! :D Danielle celebrated hers 1 day before her actual birthday at kindy by giving out party bags to her classmates. Danielle's birthday (6th Feb) is Waitangi Day in NZ. It's a public holiday held each year to celebrate the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, NZ's founding document. We celebrated her birthday at home with family and a few friends (photos uploaded in Arthur's blog). One of Danielle's wishes is for me to bring Shane along on my next visit to NZ as she misses him a lot. You, Gary and Alix are invited too :). She gave me strict instructions to convey this message to you. So mama Carrie, what say you? ;)

7:35 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Irene - Yes! Look forward to visiting NZ someday soon. Danielle is growing up so beautifully. Stay in touch.

7:35 PM  
Blogger jae said...

haha i like the pony idea! must be damn fun for the kids la! u're a very cool mom.. haha

regarding my thesis work, it wun be done till mid april or so..

everything is in a state of flux and i'm pretty embarressed to show process work! haha.. and things are really evolving, whether to my liking or not it doesnt matter yet somehow..

we'll know in 2 months what it'll be like thou! will keep tony posted on the updates! thanks for dropping by!

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Happy CNY!

I thought there were some reservations about hitting paper animals translating to the real thing? Glad that was resolved. ;)

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic!!! :D Will let Danielle know. Am sure she'll be really happy to hear that. My next visit should be sometime end May/early June. Will Shane be ready to travel by then? ;)

1:18 AM  
Blogger A cupcake or two said...

Gong Xi Gong Xi Carrie! Hope you had a wonerful weekend of celebrations while Ying and I were stuck in the Melbourne heatwave :P

5:57 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Irene - may/june sounds really tempting. I'll see if i can work something out.
Jae - Thanks for dropping in! I like that you've proposed more communal gathering spots and given some concrete proposals as to where they can go. It takes vision and shows how architecture can make a meaningful difference.
Ivan - Let's make it a point to meet like for real this year.
Tiff - S'pore is hot too. Bet you and ying went havoc in melbourne.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home