Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Ring

See this kid here?

He made me cry two nights in a row while we were in NY.

First Night. We arrived there jet lagged and sleepy. Shane started bouncing in the hotel room and while I momentarily dozed off, something happened.

He ate an adult sized panadol. I had placed it on the hotel table in a tranparent toiletry bag. Zipped up. He managed to undo the zip and swallowed the pill.

When I woke up, I noticed that one of them was gone and it was too late. It was already ingested, overdosing his kid sized organs and we were were thousands of miles away from familiar healthcare.

On the Second Night, we were getting ready to go out for rice and pork katsu. He was excited "hurry up! I want to eat pig!". After getting ready, I turned around and noticed that my wedding band was gone.

"Where is my ring?"
"I do magic! Its in my ear. See?"
[Frantically looking around, but not finding it. ]
"Where did you put it?"
[Sticking out his tongue, still thinking it is a joke.]
"I do magic"
"Did you EAT IT?"
[Guilty nods, tears welling in his eyes]

This is where it got very ugly and dramatic and mommy started to cry.

To cut a long story short. We nearly made it to a hospital in NY at the dead of the night at 3 am. We called 2 cousins who were doctors in Singapore for over the phone advice and there was much mashing of wooden chopsticks over poop to find the ring.

The next morning after what was one of the worst nights of my life, Gary said we should do a thorough combover of the room just in case he didn't swallow the ring.

We found it, under the bed. The boy had thrown it under the bed and told me he had eaten it when he couldn't find it. It was that or I had 'beaten' a confession out of him.

I asked Shane why he told me a lie. It was only now, he told me the truth.

"I only ate the poison [panadol]."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah... pengsan.

9:20 AM  
Blogger A cupcake or two said...

Oh No!!! That's a nightmare if i ever heard one. I'm glad you made it back in one sane piece.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Crazy Mum aka Ivy Ong said...

i been through cardboard, coasters, zoo maps, newspapers, magazines.....this list goes on..... but poison takes the cake!

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home